[Vision2020] PR - Final Lecture in Series, Psychiana

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 15:45:01 PDT 2011

This is very nice, Ted. I agree with most of what you say, though I
might bicker with some of the terminology. Just a few comments to note
what I mean.

First, "meta" in "metaphysics" does not mean "above" or "beyond." It
means "after." METAphysics is what comes AFTER physics, after we do
some investigating of the world. The word entered the lexicon when
folks came upon some works of Aristotle about space, time, and
causation that followed his work on physics. Similarly, once we find
things out about the world, various questions come up, no matter what
science we use. Science talks about causes in space and time, and
tries to provide explanations in terms of those causes. (It does more
than this, of course, but it does at least this much.) Metaphysics
considers the various commitments that arise from scientific
investigation and explanation. What is time? What is space? What is
causation?

Second, suppose we want to make a distinction between what you call
"strong metaphysics" and what we might call "level-headed
metaphysics." We can all agree that question about time, space, and
causation -- maybe even questions about free will -- are OK but what
about questions about the soul, or God, or the afterlife, or meaning?

The question is, how do we delineate strong metaphysics from
level-headed metaphysics, the good from the bad? I should be honest
and note that I loath drawing the distinction along "area" lines. The
reason is that lots of folks want to put free will on the bad side, as
one of those fuzzy issues that are unimportant and not worth talking
about. Of course, the view that free will is strong metaphysics is
itself a philosophical view, a metaphysical view on the way we're
thinking of things, since it is just a fall out of our general
attempts to talk about and understand the world. I'm suspicious about
philosophies that try to silence their competitors.

Another way to delineate strong metaphysics from level-headed
metaphysics is by appeal to naturalism. We might claim that
speculation about supernatural entities is idle and identify strong
metaphysics with questions about the "supernatural order." I can wrap
my head around that. I'm a pretty pragmatic guy and try to limit my
speculations to ones that are based on our collective experience of
the natural world and logical inferences from those experiences. In
that way, I'm not too far from Ayer -- or you. One difference is that
I think that naturalistic views of free will, the soul, and God can be
given.

Lastly, when it comes to personal beliefs, any philosophy goes. I'm
all for keeping philosophical questions alive and open, even though I
have my own views. If someone wants to believe in the supernatural
order, all the power to them. I'm inclined to do so myself at times.
But when it comes to our public beliefs, the kinds of beliefs that
should guide us in policy decisions, your endorsement of level-headed
metaphysics is sound advice. Here science has proven to be our most
objective form of justified belief and we err always when we advocate
strong metaphysics over the scientific method.