[Vision2020] Marijuana Patch for Dogs

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sat Jul 30 19:33:11 PDT 2011

While I absolutely support legalization of marijuana in general and medical marijuana specifically for humans, I find the news story pretty shockingly irresponsible.  “Holistic” does NOT mean safe, as any vet can tell you who has treated Heinz body hemolytic anemia in a dog or cat who ate too much garlic or onion . . . or has treated THC toxicity in a dog, cat, or horse.

It’s really too bad no vet med pharmacists or docs were interviewed to explain whether or not “medical marijuana” might – or might not -- be appropriate for dogs, cats, or horses.  For instance, I know that the emetic & appetite centers in the feline brain are actually quite different than in the human brain, so assuming that because marijuana helps human cancer patients minimize/eliminate nausea/vomiting &/or inappetence, it will have the same effect in other species isn’t appropriate.  Similarly, assuming that because it can be an effective pain treatment in humans, it will be a safe & effective pain treatment in other species is dangerous, particularly for a substance that’s known to have toxic effects in dogs, cats, and horses is irresponsible.

Now, it’s possible that medical marijuana might be beneficial for other species, but it’s just plain stupid – not to mention potentially dangerous & perhaps even fatal -- to assume there would be benefits absent supporting scientific data.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2011 through life plus 70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum without the express written permission of the author.*****