[Vision2020] Standoff Puts Some Airport Construction Projects In Limbo

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Jul 29 07:26:40 PDT 2011

Standoff Puts Some Airport Construction Projects In Limbo

The Congressional stalemate over the debt ceiling isn't the only Washington
standoff in the news this week. A separate showdown over spending by the
Federal Aviation Administration is having an immediate effect on jobs and
airport construction in our region. Correspondent Tom Banse explains.

Since last week, this little noticed budget battle has shut down non-essential
divisions of the FAA. Airline ticket taxes are going uncollected and the
federal workers who drive that money back out for airport improvement projects
are furloughed. In Wenatchee, Washington, airport director Greg Phillips had
to freeze a federally funded upgrade to airfield lights and signage.

Greg Phillips: "It's frustrating. We're seeing right-left politics interfere
with the ability to bring the economy back on line here. This is a job that
brings a much needed capital infusion into the local economy."

Uncertainty about long term funding has also forced the Pullman-Moscow
Regional Airport to postpone a $3 million runway repaving project. In Everett,
$11 million in fixes to the runway the Boeing airplane factory uses are also on
hold. The Congressional standoff comes as Spokane International Airport is in
the midst of a major runway reconstruction project. The airport director there
says he plans to use local money to keep the project going temporarily. I'm
Tom Banse reporting.

Copyright 2011 Northwest News Network

Below is a link to some audio about the story:

http://indemand.nwpr.wsu.edu/NWPR/HomepageArticles/audio/072811Airports.mp3