[Vision2020] Question about forest health- Plummer, ID

Lynn McCollough lmccollough at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 19:15:29 PDT 2011

These trees run from right at roadside to some distance (one mile?)
away from the pavement of US 95. The age range is from very young, 6'
tall, to what I would guess as several decades, 40'-80' tall. Much of
the mixed evergreen forest there looks very crowded.

My initial response to their appearance was "pine bark beetles", but I
am asking because the actual pines do not seem impacted. It is the
firs, hemlocks, etc. and not the pines that are all dying. But the
common name of the beetle may simply refer to evergreens, and not
pines.
Was in Colorado a couple years ago, and just returned from Montana. I
am now expecting some horrific fires in a wide range of the west, as
our hills and mountain ranges fill with dead, dry standing trees.
Alas. THAT will be a carbon footprint.