[Vision2020] Pollyanna Wants to Know: Who's the Lying Sack of Sh*t?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 21:34:44 PDT 2011

Jay,

Actually you can prove if a steak was dropped on the floor or not (Don't you watch CSI? :P ).
Hypothetically speaking or maybe not, if a drunk legislator came driving through town in a stolen truck, without incident; Would you be OK with that and let as many drunk Idaho politicians drive through town until there was an incident as long as they had a piece of paper from the Idaho Legislature saying they could? Or would you want to put a stop to your town and inhabitants being placed at risk? This is how many see the megaloads, but with a little less risk, as there are far fewer megaloads than drunk driving Idaho politicians. : )

The assessment of the risk is one of the issues with the megaloads. The other issue of course is the fact that Moscow residents were not heard before a decision was made. Both of these are important factors. While size does matter, I could get over the issue of size of the loads if it could be demonstrated as virtually no risk and the roads would be OK, and ExxonMobile paid a retainer large enough to cover the cost of any incident. However, not having the people heard when their safety, health, and property are at issue, I cannot let that go.

"(If I remember correctly, the “prototype” megaload weighed in at 500,000 pounds, and had 140 tires… according to the guy I talked to down there, the “prototype” was designed to be the LARGEST and the HEAVIEST of the loads so that testing could be done” (to paraphrase). So, 80,000 pounds divided by 18 tires gives you something like 4400 pounds per tire. 500,000 pounds divided by 140 tires give you 3500 pounds per tire."

It doesn't matter how many tires you stick on the load when it comes to total gross weight unless the load is 18 times longer too. In which case you will have other issues to consider because your load would be 52 ft x 18, so it would be 936 ft long. Or the length of more than 3 football fields. Further, those tires are not as capable of holding as much weight as the larger tires on an 18 or 20 wheel tracker trailer. The roads are not designed to handle that weight over many loads.

We are not going to agree on economics and the role and responsibilities that citizens and businessmen, and companies need to have. I don't believe that a company should be able to profit from slave labor or stolen goods. Goods and services from exploited children should be ostracized from the US and Western Markets. I think if jobs go overseas that company should get nothing from the US, and I mean nothing. No military protection overseas, no tax breaks, incentives, social security after retirement, nothing. All US citizens have certain responsibilities to their country regardless of what other occupations or roles they play, not destroying the US economy and thus the country, is one of them. I don't believe greed is an American value, it is anti-American and anti-community. We don't live to accumulate wealth, we accumulate wealth so we can live better. When we exploit children to improve the wealth of a few we undermine the purpose of gaining wealth.

Asking me to blame the legislators for the laws instead of ExxonMobile is like blaming the tools instead of the mechanic. I do agree with you on the politicians identifying themselves publicly with lobbyist groups. However, I am not sure I want the people NASCAR uniforms attract deciding our political leaders. : P

Donovan Arnold