[Vision2020] How public should our public highways be?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 19:44:01 PDT 2011

Since megaloads are back on topic, I just wanted to get some people's
thoughts on one aspect of the debate.

The question I have is this:  Should people care what is being
transported on our publicly-funded highways?  This question assumes that
all laws and permits are being obeyed, and that there are no concerns
about someone gaming the permit process.  I'm just curious where people
think the lines should be drawn here.  Assuming that the cargo is legal
(i.e. no nuclear weapons or kidnapped kids or whatever), do any of us
have a right to ask what's in the back of the truck?  Say it's nuclear
waste, for example, being legally transported through downtown Moscow.
Should the public be able to demand that the trucks take another route?
What aspects of the cargo being moved should be taken into account?
Possible dangers to the public (such as with chemically or biologically
unsafe materials)?  Dangers to the road surface or surrounding
infrastructure?  Economic impact on our community?  In-state vs.
out-of-state traffic?  Corporate vs. personal cargo?  Political views as
they relate to the cargo?  Others my Mountain Dew-addled brain can't
contemplate at this moment?

I have no idea where the lines should be drawn, exactly, though I do
have opinions.  I'm just curious what others think.  I'm also hoping for
a more well-rounded debate on this subject.  I'm hoping we can avoid
some aspects of the megaload debate in this thread, such as whether or
not they should have been allowed their permits or exactly how badly the
city council had their arm twisted.  Of course, I have no say in which
direction this conversation will lead (or even if it goes anywhere),
that's what makes conversations fun, I'm just stating my desire to look
at just this one aspect here.

Oh, yeah.  If the fact that I brought up this topic immediately spurs
you to reflexively fire off flame mail in my direction, please leave the
other list members out of it and just send it to me personally.  Or you
could pretend that someone you admire or even like posted this message.

Paul