[Vision2020] Fwd: Climate & Science

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 16:00:32 PDT 2011

Your statement that no one is arguing for unquestioned authority is patently false.  Here is his conclusion:

"I am not arguing the absolute authority of scientific conclusions in
democratic debates.  It is not a matter of replacing Plato’s
philosopher-kings with scientist-kings in our polis. We the
people still need to decide (perhaps through our elected
representatives) which groups we accept as having cognitive authority in our policy deliberations. Nor am I denying that there may be a logical
gap between established scientific results and specific policy
decisions.  The fact that there is significant global warming due to
human activity does not of itself imply any particular response to this
fact.  There remain pressing questions, for example, about the likely
long-term effects of various plans for limiting CO2 emissions, the more
immediate economic effects of such plans, and, especially, the proper
balance between actual present sacrifices and probable long-term gains.  Here we still require the input of experts, but we must also make
fundamental value judgments, a task that, pace Plato, we cannot turn over to experts.
The essential point, however, is that once we have accepted the authority
of a particular scientific discipline, we cannot consistently reject its conclusions.  To adapt Schopenhauer’s famous remark about causality,
science is not a taxi-cab that we can get in and out of whenever we
like.  Once we board the train of climate science, there is no
alternative to taking it wherever it may go."

His whole argument is that we cannot be critical of climate scientists when it comes to knowledge in their own field.  He graciously allows us to
determine if we should use their (unquestionable) conclusions in our
decision making, he allows us to help elect officials which have
specific plans that relate to the (unquestionable) fact of human-induced global warming, and he also is nice enough to allow us to make value
judgements of how to handle the coming catastrophes (the existence of
which we cannot question), but what we cannot do is reject their conclusions regarding the science.  That's a clear argument for the unquestioned authority of climate scientists
whose opinions are in the majority as relates to their field.  He also
states quite clearly that we cannot take the word of the minority of
climate scientists that are experts but whose opinions buck the trend,
apparently because they are simply out-numbered.

Did I read it incorrectly?

Let me guess: a "pseudo-argument" is one that you disagree with, and a "contrarian" is someone who does not fall in line like a good soldier regardless of the validity of their opinions.

Also, it may be naive, but climate scientists should not be helping to make
policy decisions.  They are not experts in the fields of foreign policy, disaster control, geo-engineering, or emergency preparedness.  They
should leave all that to the experts in those fields, and only do what
they have been trained to do: explain the science in terms that do not
make their statements into more than they are, and that only express
what they actually *know*, with caveats about the error bars and what
they mean to the conclusion.  It may be naive in that I don't expect
them to do that, but that doesn't mean it isn't what they *should* do.  The author of the original article actually says that we should not be replacing philosopher-kings with scientist-kings.

Paul