[Vision2020] PIOMAS Arctic Ice Vol. 6-30-11: Record Lowest Since 1979, Second Year Consecutively

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 14:56:17 PDT 2011

I am, if you'll forgive the word, skeptical of this data.  It may be
correct, I don't know, but I've seen nothing else that indicates that
the ice volume would be at a record low right now, with almost three
months of melt still to come.

For example, I've attached recent and 1-year old arctic sea ice
thickness and ice concentration maps from the Naval Research Laboratory
at the Stennis Space Center.  Note that this is climate model data that
is built from various real-time data sources.  It is not satellite data.

Both the thickness of the ice and the overall ice concentration to my
amateur eye looks better this year than at this time last year.  I've
also attached the latest JAXA sea ice extent graph which shows this
years value at slightly below both the 2010 and 2007 lines, but no where
near the minimum for the year.

Granted, sea ice extent is different than sea ice thickness which is
different than sea ice concentration which is different than sea ice
volume.  I would have to think they are all related, though.  If the sea
ice volume really did fall by that much, shouldn't we see a
corresponding drop in at least sea ice concentration and sea ice thickness?

Well, who knows?  It should be fun watching the graphs this year, though.

By the way, have you found a source for Cryosat data?  I've seen plenty
of articles claiming the data is "freely accessible", but haven't
actually found it on the web yet.

Paul