[Vision2020] apologists for violence

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 07:19:29 PST 2011

I don't see that you're responding to the points that Roger made as much as
talking past them.

One issue is, Should certain speak -- say violent rhetoric -- be restricted
by law?

Another very separate issue is, Should people use violent rhetoric?

Another very separate issue is, Should violent rhetoric be criticized?

My answers are "No," "No," and "Yes." I think all points are worthy of
debate.

Certainly you think it is OK to criticize folks who criticize violent
rhetoric, so you should be fine with criticizing violent rhetoric. I don't
see how Roger's points are, in that respect, any different from yours. He's
not advocating passing laws restricting speech. He's advocating having a
conversation about it, which is JUST MORE SPEECH.

Also, you should be able to step away from your love of free speech for one
minute and say that Michael O'Neal's nastiness is wrong, that it shouldn't
happen. You should be able to separate the issue of freedom of speech and
the restriction of speech from criticism of speech.

Folks SHOULD be critical of O'Neal's writing. He's insulting and insulting
is just wrong. That we all do it is no excuse. We should all be openly
critical of O'Neal and try to encourage him not to spew insults and
distortions about his political opponents. Having a conversation about that
is a good thing, the kind of thing that should happen in a civil society. It
is not governmental intervention; it is merely another form of free speech,
people using their words to try to solve problems rather than resorting to
the kind of actual violence that nasty speech like O'Neal's bi-weekly rants
encourage.