[Vision2020] Support for Megaload Transportation

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Thu Jan 27 09:21:33 PST 2011

Survey suggests most Highway 12 residents fine with mega-loads
By Jay Patrick
January 25th, 2011

The people have spoken and they say bring on the mega-loads.

That’s according to a coalition of a few dozen business associations
that released the results of a poll they commissioned showing that 70
percent of people living along Highway 12 are OK with oil companies
trucking huge pieces of equipment across the state.
The polling firm Public Opinion Strategies in December conducted the
questioning of 150 people living along the highway, and 450 people
living in the Boise area and southwest Idaho, said Alex LaBeau
president of the Idaho Association of Commerce and Industry, during a
press conference at the Capitol Tuesday. The poll found that 52
percent of southwestern Idaho residents favored letting the loads go
through. The firm questioned people in that corner of the state –
instead of, say,  north Idaho –  because of the media coverage there,
LaBeau said.

The Idaho Transportation Department has issued permits to
ConocoPhillips to move four halves of massive coke drums – which will
block both lanes – 174 miles from Lewiston to Lolo Pass. The
department is now working with another company that wants to truck 207
loads of equipment across the state, and on to Alberta, and other
shipments are expected if the route is established.“This is a well
thought-out plan,” LaBeau said of ITD’s consideration of public
safety and convenience in issuing permits for the Conoco shipments.

Twelve Highway 12 residents have challenged the permits in court and
in a special hearing, but ITD Director Ness approved the permits
earlier this month after an independent hearing officer found that ITD
had followed procedure and properly reviewed shipment plans. Natalie
Havlina, one of the lawyers representing the residents, said a
decision about whether to challenge Ness’s decision in district court
has not been made.

“It’s clear that despite the best efforts to undermine this project
that is being orchestrated by organized out-of-state special
interests, Idaho residents support job creation and new business
investment,” said LaBeau in a press release.Havlina said load
opponents aren’t anti-business and argue that the nighttime shipments
could disrupt local commercial truck traffic.
Linwood Laughy, the Highway 12 resident who started the fight, told
Public News Service that residents are contemplating challenging
Ness’s decision and the 207 proposed shipments.“What has occurred
with ConocoPhillips is really a dress rehearsal. Some of the legal
issues are still out there. The only time that there’s been any
decision made in a court of law about this, we won.”

At the press conference, LaBeau said a ruling against the loads could
be bad news for companies across the state.“Setting any kind of
precedence is problematic,” he said.Sen. Chuck Winder, on hand for
the announcement, said: “This is about more than Highway 12.”

He dismissed the argument that loads should not be allowed on Highway
12 because the remote, snaky, riverside route is unique and compared
the mega-loads to the journey of Lewis and Clark.“You can’t hide
behind ‘this is a scenic highway,’” said Winder.

At a joint meeting of the transportation committees of the House and
Senate last week, Sen. John McGee, R-Caldwell, a former chairman of
the senate transportation committee,  praised Brian Ness (who was
there delivering ITD’s annual report) for his approval of the Conoco
loads. Rep. Shirley Ringo, R-Moscow, disagreed. She questioned ITD’s
planning and review of shipment plans. “It seems to me the process
grew as we went along,” she said. “I hope at the end of this we
have a process in place.”

Rep. JoAn Wood countered that ITD does follow a permitting process,
which hearing officer Merlyn Clark validated in his decision