[Vision2020] "Open" Office, ain't.

Dave tiedye at turbonet.com
Wed Jan 26 17:48:04 PST 2011

My replay to Carl's post reminded me of something I wanted to share...

As many of you know, I am an advocate for Open Source Software. I am
down to two programs which are not open source (my goal is zero, but
sometimes you have to sacrifice your ideals).  And I use my computer for
more things then most do.

If you use Open Office (and have updated it) you may have noticed a new
company logo.  This is because Oracle bought Sun Microsystems who
"hosted" Open Office.  They also changed their policy toward open source
and all of the programmers left in mass, because it's not open anymore.

The programmers have formed a new group and quickly produced
LibreOffice.  LibreOffice does more than Open Office (the programmers
put a bunch of improvements in the new package), which is to say it does
almost everything Microsoft Office does (except cost you money).

They also did a massive core code overhaul which makes it much faster,
partly due to the large influx of programmers they had after the split.
I think many in the open source community did not like OO's relationship
with Sun, it wasn't quite "open", and that's why they jumped on board now.

You can get it here: http://www.libreoffice.org/

For more about open source start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libre#Libre  (it's a new word for me
:-[ , but hey, give me a break I'm a sci/tech guy not a word guy, I was
functionally illiterate until the word processor was invented)

Dave

--

Windows, OSX, or Linux is the same choice as:
McDonald's, Burger King, or a (real) Co-Op.