[Vision2020] Sachs it to me (us)

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 21:41:21 PST 2011

The way I understand it, the story goes like this.  Facebook is a
private company that won't open it's books.  There are laws that state
that you can't have more than 500 investors in a private company.  GS
values Facebook at $50 billion, so it really wants in, and tried to make
the case that it was one investor that is just selling shares to it's
customers from that one investment.  The SEC came in and said "Ah, no."
and scuttled that idea.  So now GS needs to exclude US investors and
look for investors in areas where silly laws like that don't exist.

The way I see it, the SEC just saved the US investors from the
consequences of GS making a bad investment in a firm in which it doesn't
have enough information to properly valuate.

There is an interesting story on slashdot.org ("News for Nerds. Stuff
that Matters.") about it, with some interesting discussion:
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/01/18/004226/Goldman-Sachs-Says-No-Facebook-Shares-For-US-Investors

Paul