[Vision2020] Mental health

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 15:27:19 PST 2011

If everyone that expresses symptoms of possible potential violent
behavior connected to a alledged personality disorder were subjected
to "involuntary hospitalization" it would be impossible to not
infringe on personal liberty.

My understanding is that psychiatry's ability to forsee who will or
will not go off the deep end, as did the person who committed the mass
shooting in Tucson, is not very accurate.  The "safety net" could end
up confining many people who would never commit extreme acts of
violence.

And the definition of "mental illness" as it relates to violent
behavior can be seriously debated.  Was Oklahoma City Federal Building
bomber McVeigh mentally ill?

I have long thought that anyone who commits extreme acts of violence
against innocents is somehow mentally ill, given this implies a
serious lack of empathy for fellow human beings and/or impulse control
in violent behavior, though if I understand correctly psychiatry in
some cases does not define such behavior as an expression of mental
illness.  Were the military personel who knowingly dropped nuclear
weapons on tens of thousands of innocent civilians in Japan mentally
ill?  A pacifist might claim so, but of course many would say this is
ridiculous.

Consider this Scientific American article "What 'Psychopath' Means?"
that contains the following statement:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-psychopath-means&page=2

"Nevertheless, most psychopaths are not violent, and most violent
people are not psychopaths."

This suggests that perhaps many violent people do not express symptoms
of "mental illness" that might justify confining them based on
psychiatric grounds.

The 9/11 aircraft hijackers were apparently rather rational and
"normal" appearing in their behavior prior to carrying out the 9/11
attacks, which is partly why their plans were not discovered.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett