[Vision2020] (no subject)

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Jan 14 17:58:52 PST 2011

Because of my quite skinny elder son's tendency to tuck his keys into his baggy-jeans waistband, thus dropping them in the soon-to-be-locked car door or front door, we've had two or three occasions to call Gary, and when we decide how to update the locks on our front door, we'll call him again.  He's good, he's fair, he's reasonable, and . . . he neither treats me rudely because of our multitudinous disagreements, nor fawns over me as if we were best buddies, just because I need a new key or something.  Either of those would annoy me.

In truth, I like him -- probably, to be honest, a bit more than he cares for me -- and I have no desire to see him or anyone else unfairly attacked, here or elsewhere.  Deb's experience doesn't surprise me a bit.  I'd rather engage with  an honest conservative than with small-souled, shiftless progressive any time -- even when their honest conservatism leads them to criticize me, and criticize me harshly.  I feel the same way about Paul, Jeff, and Roger.  In fact, in one of those really weird coincidences that happen often, I was
thinking this morning, before I read anything online or elsewhere, of
writing Paul a note to thank him for his very kind words of condolence
to me after the shootings in Tucson.  I realized I hadn't paid much
appreciative attention to his supporting words and instead answered his
perspective, with which I disagreed, on what provokes the political and
social climate that I think precipitates acts of violence like this.  I
intended, once dinner was done, to sit down and drop him a line -- and
now, here we are.  (And dinner's a lost cause anyway; I won't ever change to a different kind of sauce again!)

So, Paul, while this would've been off-list
earlier, I do want to thank you for words you wrote after my initial
"Tucson shooting" post that expressed what came across as genuinely
heartfelt sympathy for the losses I was anticipating for my mother, as
well as for my grief about the whole tragedy.  I've said before that you
 seem to be a more than decent guy, and this time I was the recipient of
 that decency, which is all the more appreciated because you offered it
to me even while disagreeing with me.  Thank you.

If I'm not tough enough to face a verbal smackdown, I'm definitely not tough enough to be a part of this forum.  I like this thread and, even though I'm not planning to rejoin Vision anytime soon,  recent events notwithstanding, I hope it continues to bear fruit.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com