[Vision2020] (no subject)

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 19:41:52 PST 2011

Gary's one of a very small number of conservative commentators that
I've managed to read consistently since I first became politically
aware. In part, this may be due to the fact that he is one of a very
small number of conservative commentators whom I may annoy precisely
as much as he annoys me. But, even where I think he's wrong, he's at
least responsive.

He's also a damn good locksmith and, as far as I've heard and
experienced, a decent human. I only disagree with him about matters of
life, death, and whether and how the government should acquire and
spend trillions of dollars. Other than that, we're cool. And he's not
the only conservative here that's made a positive contribution to the
community.

Many of you know my wife had a brain tumor a couple of years ago and
nearly died. I was in Seattle for most of the relevant period, but I
received an unsolicited offer from Doug Farris to bring over
casseroles and whatnot. I couldn't take him up on it (because I
suspect his offer didn't extend to driving the casseroles to Seattle),
but I appreciated it more than he knows. And I was genuinely sorry to
hear that Pat Kraut died; in all of my professional dealings with her,
through the Nazarene church, she genuinely enacted the charitable
values we so vehemently disagreed about  the government enacting.

I don't know the rest of the conservatives here as well. Glenn isn't a
real person (though I once had a perfectly civil lunch with the person
I believe he is). Donovan Arnold probably wouldn't kick a puppy unless
the puppy really had it coming. Jeff Harkins is sometimes genuinely
helpful, and bright and dedicated, if sometimes glib.

I realize that it'll soon be time to get back to shouting at each
other. As we should. Isn't that why we're all here? (Maybe not Paul.
He doesn't seem like a crank. I mean that as a compliment.) But in the
spirit Dear Leader proposes, I think taking a moment to appreciate the
people we will soon be throwing rotten fruit at seems appropriate.

-- ACS