[Vision2020] A smattering of data to argue about

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 11:02:20 PST 2011

Here is an article from a blog.

http://www.slate.com/BLOGS/blogs/weigel/archive/2011/01/09/palin-spox-targets-on-sarahpac-map-were-actually.aspx

I have no idea about this blog, its author, etc. I just skimmed
through the article. I post it simply because it contains two
interesting pieces of information about Sarah Palin and this horrible
event: (a) the SarahPAC map with "crosshairs" marking various
districts that were ripe for defeat in the last election, and
explicitly mentioning Gabrielle Giffords by name, and (b) a video
where Palin utters the phrase "don't retreat, instead reload."

I'm not saying that Palin is an accessory to murder (there's some
discussion, for instance, on the above blog that the symbol is a
"surveyor's symbol" not crosshairs) but the fact is she used violent
rhetoric toward Giffords, joking in two separate ways that she or
others should be shot, and someone in fact shot her. Of course
Loughner (the gun man) is insane. But it strikes me as naive and
irresponsible to suggest that the violent rhetoric of the radical
right wasn't at least a contributing factor to this particular
incidence of violence.