[Vision2020] the shooting in Tucson

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Jan 8 14:41:01 PST 2011

I've tried a couple of times to send this and it appears to not have gone through, but I want to answer Paul:

Paul,

Thank you for your reasonable words.  It's better than I've gotten from Courtney on his Right-Mind.us blog.

That
 said, I would remind you that she had been threatened before as a
result of her involvement in the Obama healthcare bill.  She is not a
liberal, but I believe that she is more progressive than her record
shows, primarily because of the extraordinarily conservative district
she represents -- one that's been rife with violent, bigoted rhetoric
from the Right.  I heard a lot about her from  my father, and even two
years ago he was aware that she and Rep. Grijalva (a friend of mine from
 way back in the day) were targets of unreasonable and irrational
attacks from the media and from the entrenched Religious Right and
nascent Tea Party folks.  This was political, and even though the video
posted by the gunman says he's not a Christian, the instances of
"Christian" right-wing extremism in this country is alarming, and
increasing.

I hold Wilson, Courtney, et al, responsible (do I
have to say "and not accountable" again???) because, as ministers of the
 Gospel -- Courtney has been an elder in Christ Church and is a visible
evangelical spokesman in Idaho conservative/Libertarian politics -- they
 have failed in their mission to preach and model peace, truth, justice,
 and basic kindness in their public pronouncements.  Worse, they have
fanned the flames of a tinderbox-volatile sociopolitical,
religiocultural climate, often with astonishing glee and carelessness,
and are committed, judging from their own works, to calling simple
political disagreement "tyranny" that must be resisted by all Christian
 men.

You're a good man, and if you disagree with me, you're not
evil because of it.  But surely you see that this hasn't happened in a
vacuum, and that a church leader who, like hundreds of them across the
nation, laughs at the idea of Obama's assassination and perverts
Scripture -- the "Obama Psalm" -- in spreading his hatred of the
President is a man who, like his "tyranny" frothing pastor, deserves my
scorn at minimum, and my indictment in all truth.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com