[Vision2020] Textbook and media prices (was: Professor Campbell)

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 07:39:37 PST 2011

There is no strawman fallacy! In fact, you are guilty of the fallacy of
calling "fallacy" whenever someone criticizes your argument! It is not
surprising that you have a dislike of professors given that you don't know
what the heck you are talking about. I can imagine how real logic teachers
might get in the way of your agenda; better to replace them with unqualified
dupes.

Who are the folks who are going to be teaching these classes for next to
nothing? Again, I can teach a logic class with 250 students. If we limit
class size to 25, that still requires 10 folks to teach the same number of
students. What will you pay them? Less than 1/10 of my salary? And you're
going to get 10 of them to teach at that pay scale, none of whom can teach
the upper division classes that I teach!?! And this will improve education
exactly how? By having unqualified people who are willing to work for next
to nothing just so you can reduce class sizes to the levels of 10 years ago,
when folks were willing to pay for education!

This is not a plan. It is just hysterical rhetoric intended to influence
folks who are going through the worst financial crisis since the 30s by
giving them a scapegoat to blame. You keep saying how "overpaid" folks are
yet you CANNOT name one individual who is overpaid.

Also, you keep ignoring refutations of your comments, like Betsy's point
that salaries at UI are NOT rising every year; that few have had pay
increases in the last 5 years. Yet you want to cut their pay even more, more
than it has been cut given inflation. Shame on you!