[Vision2020] Textbook and media prices (was: Professor Campbell)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Feb 26 08:28:23 PST 2011

Dr. J (Joe Campbell) states announces:

"The point is you're [Donovan Arnold] already unhappy with the quality of
professors.

And proceeds to inquire:

"Please tell me how your plan will improve things."

I gave this some careful thought, Dr. J.  Then it became painfully obvious
to me . . .

If UI and WSU were to adopt "The Arnold Plan" and capped all professor
salaries at $70,000/year, capped sale prices of textbooks to . . . say . .
. $30 per 500 pages of publication, eventually (after 7, 8, or 10 years),
the Moscow/Pullman collegiate region would become classified as an
academically-stressed, economically-strapped district, as professors flee
the campuses of UI and WSU seeking a more financially rewarding school
system, such as the Moscow School District (where Performance-for-Pay
might reward them with go-to-the-front-of-the-cafeteria-line benefits
during their moonthly 30-minute).

Nullification could then provide serious benefit to the region as local
city councils seek assistance from the Peace Corps.

Recently developed sanitation programs could accept proposals from local
citizens on how to maintain sanitation and limiting costs in doing so.

Hint:  Toilet paper DOES have two sides.

The potential is virtually limitless.

This is Tom Hansen of "Moscow Cares" saying:

"Keep upkeep down."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown