[Vision2020] Senate Bill 1108 (The Vote)

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 17:38:22 PST 2011

Here's the tally:

Latest from our blogs
	* Office Hours: Ecolite joins with new Valley company to make high-end infrared
heating panels
	* Huckleberries Online: APhoto Of The Day -- 2.24.11
	* A Matter Of Opinion: Ten Years After
	* Eye On Boise: Candle-carrying walkers protest bills
	* Sirens & Gavels: Tuna, lost wallet busts robbery suspect
	* Movies & More: At least the kids are OK
	* Outdoors blog: CANCELLED: Tonight's Backcountry Film Festival at GU
	* Spokane Valley blog: Part of Highway 27 closed
Your Ad Here  Quickly place your    ad on Spokesman.com.    Low cost and very
easy. Advertise Here

Archive
	* February 2011
	* January 2011
	* December 2010
	* November 2010
	* October 2010
	* September 2010
	* August 2010
	* July 2010
	* June 2010
	* May 2010
	* April 2010
	* March 2010
	* February 2010
	* January 2010
	* December 2009
	* November 2009
	* October 2009
	* September 2009
	* August 2009
	* July 2009
	* June 2009
	* May 2009
	* April 2009
	* March 2009
	* February 2009
	* January 2009
	* December 2008
	* November 2008
	* October 2008
	* September 2008
	* August 2008
	* July 2008
	* June 2008
	* May 2008
	* April 2008
	* March 2008
	* February 2008
	* January 2008
	* December 2007
	* November 2007
	* October 2007
	* September 2007
	* August 2007
	* July 2007
	* June 2007
	* May 2007
	* April 2007
	* March 2007
	* February 2007
	* January 2007
	* December 2006
	* November 2006
	* October 2006
	* September 2006
	* August 2006
	* July 2006
	* June 2006
	* May 2006
	* April 2006
	* March 2006
	* February 2006
	* January 2006
	* December 2005
	* November 2005
	* October 2005
	* September 2005
	* August 2005
	* July 2005
	* June 2005
	* May 2005
	* April 2005
	* March 2005
	* February 2005
	* January 2005
	* December 2004
	* November 2004
	* October 2004
	* September 2004
	* August 2004
	* July 2004
	* June 2004
	* May 2004
	* April 2004
	* March 2004
	* February 2004
	* January 2004
Eye On Boise
Candle-carrying walkers protest bills
	* Share
	*

Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 4:47 p.m.  •  0 comments

About a hundred people are walking around the Capitol in a vigil,  carrying
small candles shielded by paper cups, silently protesting the  Senate's votes
today to pass two school-reform bills, including a  measure removing many of
Idaho teachers' existing contract rights. The  event is one of 23 hastily
scheduled across the state today after the  bills passed this afternoon in an
extended Senate debate that stretched  for five hours; you can see the full list
here.
	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
Nonini schedules HB 1108, 1110 for House Ed hearings starting Tuesday
	* Share3
	*

Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 4:25 p.m.  •  0 comments
House Education Chairman Bob Nonini, R-Coeur d'Alene, said just now,  “After
visiting with leadership, we have decided to hold the hearings  beginning next
Tuesday morning.” The two school reform bills that  already have passed the
Senate - SB 1108 and SB 1110 - will be  considered by the House Education
Committee starting at 8 a.m. on  Tuesday, Nonini said; he's already reserved the
Capitol Auditorium, the  Statehouse's largest hearing room, for three days,
though he said he  hopes it won't take that full time. The hearings will run
from 8-11 a.m.

Nonini said he initially thought he should wait until all three bills  arrived,
but with the third undergoing a rework in the Senate Education  Committee, he
said that “could be a week or more.” Said Nonini, “We   just thought we should
get the two bills we have moving.”
	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
Candlelight vigils set across state
	* Share
	*

Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 3:47 p.m.  •  0 comments
Twenty-three candlelight vigils will be held around the state today in  response
to the Senate's passage of the first two bills in state schools  Supt. Tom
Luna's school reform plan, the Idaho Education Association  announced, starting
with one on the sidewalks ringing the state Capitol  at 5 p.m. You can see the
full list of vigils here.  IEA President Sherri Wood said in a statement,
“Twenty members of the  Idaho Senate today defied Idahoans by voting to advance
two of the three  bills in Superintendent Tom Luna’s cynical package to overhaul
education in Idaho. Many of the Senators noted in debate that they’ve  heard
more public opposition to this plan than on any other issue in  their careers,
yet 20 of them ignored that input and voted to pass the  bills.” You can read
her full statement here.
	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
Goedde: Senate Ed likely to start discussing changes to SB 1113 Monday
or Tuesday
	* Share
	*

Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 3:10 p.m.  •  0 comments
Senate Education Chairman John Goedde, R-Coeur d'Alene, asked what's  next on
the third, and biggest, piece of the school reform plan, said,  “We've had
individual committee members working on parts of it. We will  schedule it for
discussion Monday or Tuesday.” At that point, he said,  the committee will “see
… where there might be some opportunities to  make changes.” Most likely, Goedde
said, SB 1113 will be held in  committee and a new, revised bill introduced.

SB 1113 is the centerpiece of state schools Supt. Tom Luna's reform  plan; it
calls for increasing class sizes in grades 4-12 and cutting 770  teaching jobs
in the next two years, to save millions that then would  be funneled into
technology upgrades, a laptop computer for every high  school student, online
courses, teacher performance pay, and more. That  measure was pulled back to the
Senate Education Committee yesterday,  amid concerns in the Senate about raising
school class sizes. The other  two pieces of the plan, SB 1108, reducing Idaho
teachers' contract  rights, and SB 1110, setting up the performance-pay plan,
both passed  the Senate today on identical 20-15 votes.
	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
Senate Dems: ‘Mean-spirited plan’
	* Share4
	*

Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 3 p.m.  •  3 comments
Senate Democrats have issued a statement calling today “a sad day for
educators,” after the Senate's two 20-15 votes in favor of the first two  school
reform bills; you can read their full statement here. Senate Minority Leader
Edgar Malepeai, D-Pocatello, said, “It saddens  me that my colleages in the
Senate would pass these laws knowing full  well the extent to which our citizens
are offended by Tom Luna's  mean-spirited plan.” Malepeai also discusses in the
statement the Senate  Democrats' reasons for forcing the bills to be read in
full before they  were voted on, a move they hadn't made since the special
session in  2006 on eliminating the school property tax levy. “We requested the
bills be read at length because we believe that this legislation is  being
rushed through the Legislature and we had deep concerns that many  of our fellow
senators intended to vote yes but had yet to read the  bills in their entirety,”
he said.
	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
Luna: ‘A great day’
	* Share5
	*

Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 2:56 p.m.  •  0 comments
State schools Supt. Tom Luna had this statement in response to today's  Senate
passage of two of this three reform bills: “This is a great day  for Idaho and
its children. With these two bills, we have reformed the  way we pay teachers,
and we have reformed the way school districts can  operate by returning
authority and flexibility to locally elected school  boards. Next, we must
reform Idaho's classrooms so all students learn  in a 21st century classroom and
are prepared to succeed in the world  that awaits them.”

Luna told Eye on Boise, “I'm very proud of the governor, I'm very proud  of our
elected officials and their willingness to make some tough  choices and reform
our system. … We still have a few steps to go.”
	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
SB 1110 passes Senate on same 20-15 vote
	* Share6
	*

Feb. 24, 2011 1:57 p.m.  •  1 comment
SB 1110, the teacher performance pay bill, has passed the Senate on a  20-15
vote - the same vote as the previous bill, SB 1108 on teacher  contracts.

	* Tags
	* 2011 Legislature
Darrington: ‘Measure of success of teacher is not at the moment’
	* Share
	*

Feb. 24, 2011 1:52 p.m.  •  1 comment
Sen. Denton Darrington, R-Declo, a longtime 8th grade teacher, recalled  having
students come up to him years later and tell him what they  learned from him. He
told the Senate, “The greatest measure of the  success of a teacher is not at
the moment, it's down the road. … And you  can't measure that, you can't … but
it's significant.”

	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
Debate: ‘Just creates more frustration,’ ‘definitely a better way’
	* Share
	*

Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 1:41 p.m.  •  0 comments

Sen. Edgar Malepeai, D-Pocatello, told the Senate of teaching troubled  and
disadvantaged children. It's a challenge, he said, to help those  youngsters in
cases where their parents aren't involved. “Ladies and  gentlemen, this bill
doesn't figure it out,” he said of SB 1110, the  teacher performance-pay bill.
“It just creates more frustration.”

Sen. Brent Hill, R-Rexburg, said, “I had a lot of good teachers growing  up. I
didn't grow up as well as they hoped. I've heard from some in the  last two
weeks.” He said, “There's no completely fair system, folks.  There's no
completely fair system. The system we have right now is as  unfair as any system
I can think of. This may not be the best way, but  it's definitely a
better way.”
	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
Pearce: ‘Do it for the kids’
	* Share
	*

Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 1:33 p.m.  •  1 comment
Sen. Monty Pearce, R-New Plymouth, debating in favor of SB 1110, the  teacher
performance pay bill, said, “Today I think is one of the most  exciting days in
Idaho history, where we've had the nerve and the  internal fortitude to stand up
and say it's time to do it right, it's  time to make a change.” He said, “I hope
we have the wisdom … to stand  up and really do it for the kids.”
	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
Debate on merit-pay bill: ‘Not ready, not funded,’ ‘teachers finally rewarded’
	* Share
	*

Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 1:27 p.m.  •  1 comment
In the debate on SB 1110, the teacher performance-pay bill, Sen. Nicole
LeFavour, D-Boise, said, “I believe this bill is not ready and it  certainly is
not funded.” Passing it without a funding source, she said,  threatens to
compete with existing school funding for already-strapped  school districts.

The bill is part of a three-bill package proposed by state schools  Supt. Tom
Luna; its funding would come from raising class sizes in  grades 4-12, but that
bill has been sent back to the Senate Education  Committee for a rework.

Sen. Jim Hammond, R-Coeur d'Alene, debating in favor of the bill, said,  “It's
important that those folks who are willing to put in their time  to create a new
curriculum, or those folks who are willing to mentor new  teachers, or those
folks that are willing … to provide leadership, are  rewarded. That's really
what we're talking about here.” He said it will  let teachers “be able to have
more control over their wages.”

Sen. Melinda Smyser, R-Parma, said, “It's just like a business. If I'm  not
doing the job, I'm going to be fired. … With this bill, teachers  will finally
be rewarded.”
	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
Teacher performance-pay debate: Goedde says there’s ‘no funding source’
	* Share
	*

Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 1:04 p.m.  •  0 comments

Sen. John Goedde, opening debate on SB 1110, the teacher performance  pay bill,
said it will reward teachers with bonuses for outstanding  work, and let
districts pay more to those in hard-to-fill positions.  “Senators, we have an
educator pay scale that's built in the 19th  century,” Goedde said. “It doesn't
work, it doesn't recognize  excellence.”

Sen. Michelle Stennett, D-Ketchum, said, “I'm having a hard time  understanding
how we're actually funding this. Where does the money  actually come from?”

Goedde said the cost would be $38 million starting in fiscal year 2013,  and
“there is no funding source attached to this.” In subsequent years,  according
to the bill, it would cost $51.3 million a year.
	* Tags
	* 2011 Idaho Legislature
How they voted…
                                           Posted by Betsy
Feb. 24, 2011 12:47 p.m.  •  0 comments
Here's the Senate vote breakdown on SB 1108, the teacher contracts bill:

Voting in favor: Sens. Bair, Brackett, Davis, Fulcher,  Goedde, Hammond, Heider,
Hill, Lodge, McGee, McKague, McKenzie,  Mortimer, Nuxoll, Pearce, Siddoway,
Smyser, Toryanski, Vick, and Winder.

Voting against: Sens. Andreason, Bilyeu, Bock,  Broadsword, Cameron, Corder,
Darrington, Keough, LeFavour, Malepeai,  Schmidt, Stegner, Stennett, Tippetts,
and Werk.