[Vision2020] SBOE Suspends ISU's Faculty Senate

nickgier at roadrunner.com nickgier at roadrunner.com
Mon Feb 21 07:51:57 PST 2011

Happy President Day Visionarires!

The Idaho State Journal had a dynamite editorial on Sunday with good research on what the honorable thing to do when your faculty votes against you.

The faculty union's response has been checked by ISU faculty senate officer and I will post it in a few minutes.

SBOE action hands Vailas false victory

Idaho State Journal, Feb. 21, 2011

Idaho State University faculty should be seen, but not heard. That seems to be the message the Idaho State Board of Education delivered when it voted Thursday to suspend the ISU Faculty Senate, a move requested by embattled ISU President Arthur Vailas.

The state board’s action comes one week after 72.5 percent of ISU’s faculty voted no confidence in Vailas’ leadership. Voter turnout was 76 percent. Of those, nearly 9 percent abstained from voting yes or no, and only 18.5 percent gave Vailas a thumbs up.

The SBOE’s decision to dissolve the Faculty Senate, an unprecedented move in the annals of higher ed, will not resolve these faculty complaints any better than Vailas’ refusal to honestly address them. All ISU faculty had the opportunity to vote for or against Vailas on Feb. 10, not just the 30 members of the Faculty Senate.

Problems at other universities have been handled differently. Faced with an 84 percent no-confidence vote from faculty who criticized his “imperialistic” leadership style at Indiana University of Pennsylvania in December of 2009, President Tony Atwater said the experience gave him insight into the need to improve communication about decisions and the decision-making process. He resigned last June.

The president and provost at Bowie State University in Maryland received overwhelming no-confidence votes in October of last year. They were accused of initiating programs and making appointments and demotions without faculty input. The provost resigned in November and President Micky Burnim remains with a renewed commitment to rely more on a special Communications Task Force to improve communication with faculty and staff.

At Columbus State University in Georgia last spring, President Tim Mescon and Provost Inessa Levi received definitive no-confidence votes. Reorganization of academic colleges and departments without faculty input was the main complaint. Levi resigned in September. The president pledged he and the new provost would work closely with faculty with an “unwavering focus on quality, collaboration and faculty engagement.”

In contrast is the response by Vailas and the State Board to dissolve the ISU Faculty Senate, which is the   equivalent of President Obama abolishing Congress.

The adverse national publicity has already started with articles posted from the esteemed university trade magazine, the Chronicle of Higher Education, to the Associated Press. The American Association of University Professors has also weighed in by calling the suspension of the ISU Faculty Senate unprecedented.

What this means, of course, is that recruitment and retention of top-notch faculty is going to be very difficult for ISU. Why would anyone with merit want to apply or stay at an institution which dohttp://webmail.nyc.rr.com/do/mail/message/reply?msgId=INBOXDELIM63622&replyAll=off&referrer=msg&l=en-US&v=standard#esn’t listen to or value them? And without the best faculty, which is the heart and soul of a university, why would students want to enroll?

The SBOE’s action has added fuel to the flames when it should have insisted that both parties meet and resolve their grievances, no matter if it took placing them all in the Faculty Senate meeting room and locking the door from the outside.

We naively expected more of Vailas and the SBOE and can only ask, “This is the best you can do?”
President Vailas, we ask that you take positive action to become a consensus builder, help heal wounds and get this university back on track. Based on your actions this past year, that may be asking too much.

The community and its university can only hope you’ll prove us wrong.