[Vision2020] Imperial Oil Cutting Down Size of megaloads

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Feb 16 09:28:17 PST 2011

Courtesy of today's (February 16, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Imperial Oil cutting down size of megaloads
33 loads shortened for interstate highways travel

[org]Associated Press[/org]
February 16, 2011

MISSOULA, Mont. - Imperial Oil/ExxonMobil is cutting down the size of 33
loads of equipment headed for an oil sands project in Alberta, Canada so
they can be moved along interstate highways, a company official said.

"Because of delays in getting the oversized permits from both Idaho and
Montana, Imperial is planning to begin reducing the size of the 33 modules
in Lewiston to mitigate further schedule and cost exposure to the
construction site," Imperial/Exxon spokesman Pius Rolheiser told the
Missoulian on Monday.

The reduced size will allow the loads to comply with interstate height
restrictions. Rolheiser didn't have details about what route would be
taken once the loads were made smaller.

"The important thing is, our original plan remains our preferred option,"
said Rolheiser, who last week dismissed "rumors and speculation" that the
equipment being held at the Port of Lewiston was going to be cut down to a
size that could move under interstate overpasses. "We're continuing to
work with regulatory agencies in both Idaho and Montana to progress
permits for future modules."

Imperial/Exxon initially sought permits for 207 oversized loads of
Korean-manufactured equipment to be moved from the Port of Lewiston over
U.S. 12 into Montana and north into Canada.

However, taking into account the 33 loads being cut down and another 60
loads the company says it has begun moving from the Port of Vancouver in
Washington along Interstates 90 and 15, the number of supersized loads the
company wants to move on U.S. 12 falls to about 115. About a dozen of the
loads from Washington state have moved into Canada and Rolheiser said the
company has permits for up to four a week for the month beginning Feb. 7.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown