[Vision2020] House Resolution 2 and Ethics

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Feb 15 11:35:13 PST 2011

Greetings Visionaires -

House Resolution 2 (Stating findings of the Legislature and amending Rule
76 of the Rules of the House of Representatives relating to the Committee
on Ethics) was discussed and voted upon in the State House.

http://www.MoscowCares.com/Idaho/2011/HRes0002_Ethics_021011.htm

It passed virtually unanimously.  Both sides of the political aisle
supported passage of this resolution.

I can understand how it drastically reduces . . . OK . . . eliminates . .
. frivolous ethics complaints . . .

One representative went as far as to jokingly suggest that those reps with
House tags on their cars should lose them, as this will virtually
guarantee a complaint if they cut somebody off in traffic.

I can understand supporting HRes 2 to eliminate frivolous complaints.
But, how will this resolution impact the guy down the street that has a
serious ethics complaint against his/her rep?  And don't tell me that a
committee will review each complaint to determine whether or not to
proceed with it.  This is Idaho where such a complaint originating from a
liberal household is likely to end up being tossed into the nearest
landfill.

Oh, and one other note that I simply couldn't pass up during "debate" of
House Resolution 2 . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u-qeW6Cpks

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."