[Vision2020] Fw: A $50 Lesson

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 07:15:43 PST 2011

It struck me that something was missing from this, so I tried to make some changes to reflect reality:

A $50 Lesson

Back in 2002 I asked my friends' little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up.  She said
she wanted to be President someday.

Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her: "If you were
President, what would be the first thing you would do?"  She replied: "I'd give food to the
homeless people."  Her parents beamed with pride.

"Wow... what a worthy goal," I told her. "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do
that. You can become owner of an oil company or a mercenary company. Then when President Bush
invades Iraq illegally, you might profit tremendously when we try to take over their oil; granted,
that's speculative. But if you start that mercenary company, you are guaranteed to make an obscene
amount of money. Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out,
and you can give him the $50 to use toward food."

She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and said, "That
sounds
great! And the Faithful will pretend it's all good, and maybe they'll send out sanctimonious and
self-congratulatory mass emails and trite stories!"

I said: "Welcome to the Republican Party."  Her parents still aren't speaking to me.

There, that's more like it.

Sunil

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
my friends' little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up.  She said
she wanted to be President someday.

Both of her parents, liberal
Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her: "If you were President, what
would be the first thing you would do?"  She replied: "I'd give food to the
homeless people."  Her parents beamed with pride.

"Wow...
what a worthy goal," I told her. "But you don't have to wait until you're
President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull
weeds, and sweep my patio, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to the
grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to
use toward food."

She thought that over for a few seconds, then she
looked me straight in the eye and asked: "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over
and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?'

I said: "Welcome to
the Republican Party."  Her parents still aren't speaking to
me.

Checked by AVG -
www.avg.com
02/07/11 12:34:00