[Vision2020] Why We Need Black History Month

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 09:35:05 PST 2011

When reading the excerpt below from your "Black History Month" column,
I immediately thought of Nobel Laureate for Literature Toni Morrison's
Pulitzer Prize winning novel "Beloved," the title of which is the name
of a black women's daughter who she killed rather than committing her
daughter to slavery:

http://goldenessays.com/free_essays/2/english/B/beloved-by-toni-morrison3.shtml

Beloved By Toni Morrison

"That character, Sethe, is presented as a former slave woman who
chooses to kill her baby girl rather than allowing her to be exposed
to the physically, emotionally, and spiritually oppressive horrors of
a life spent in slavery."
Toni Morrison Is '93 Winner Of Nobel Prize in Literature

http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/01/11/home/28957.html
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett