[Vision2020] University of Idaho Argonaut, 1-25-11: Bret Zender: "Climate change is not to be ignored"

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 18:30:16 PST 2011

His terms are a little imprecise, but anthropogenic global warming is
not anywhere near as established as gravity or evolution.  It's a
science where we have 150 years of somewhat reliable data in a field
where you have to have 30+ years of data just to be able to say anything
at all about climate.  Is it warming, on average, right now?  Yes.  Do
we know how much of it is due to man's carbon footprint?  I would say
no.   The ice cores show that temperature has gone up and down over the
last few thousand years.  We're recovering from the little ice age.  I
wouldn't place any bets on global warming or global cooling right now.
Why?  Because we don't know why the temperature has risen in the past.
We suspect the Sun is involved, but we can't really say.

I will say that the Global Climate Change Media Machine is being
successful in getting across their narratives.  They've turned a new,
more-or-less untested science into a science that people believe is as
solid as the law of gravity.  This is despite their earlier efforts to
try to make people believe that there was little variation until evil
man came around and screwed it all up, what I like to call the Hockey
Stick Era.  Despite their resistance to criticism, including (if the
Climate Gate emails are to be believed) conspiring to get around FOIA
laws, they eventually had to concede that their famous graph had
statistical problems.

For this and other reasons, I'll still be skeptical about climate
forecasts more than three days ahead.  I will continue to avoid stepping
off of high places, though.

Paul