[Vision2020] We Don't Need No Stinkin' Constitution . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Dec 28 14:28:18 PST 2011

Courtesy of today's (December 28, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

------------------------------

I stand with the ACLU on this issue
By Eric McGilp
Proving that hell must have frozen over, I find myself agreeing more and more with the ACLU.
Recently, both Idaho senators, Mike Crapo and Jim Risch, voted for a Senate defense bill that allows the military to arrest American citizens, on American soil, and hold them indefinitely, without trial and without charges (S-1867). This is in direct violation of the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth amendments of our Constitution. That more than 60 U.S. Senators voted for such a clearly unconstitutional law should frighten and grab the attention of every American.
For nearly 150 years, the Posse Comitatus Act has been the law of the land, and has limited the U.S. Army in its involvement in domestic law enforcement. Americans have seen images from other countries where soldiers broke down people's doors looking for criminals and gave thanks that couldn't happen here. Well ... now it can. I wonder how long it will take for the government to find that a particular tea party rally or Occupy Wall Street gathering is contrary to the safety of the American people and a platoon of soldiers will be called in to "restore order."
President Obama has threatened to veto the bill should it come to his desk. I hope he follows through on that threat, although given the instincts of politicians of both parties to support the ever increasing power of the government, I doubt he will. I fear he will "reluctantly" sign the unconstitutional law.
This is no isolated event and comes on the heels of our president recently assassinating an American citizen he claimed was a terrorist. When the ACLU and others raised questions about the killing, the justification was given that the president had placed him on a secret "terrorist" list, and that was why it was justifiable to kill him. Let's be clear, Anwar al-Awlaki was a despicable human being, and I doubt there are few who will mourn his death. What I will mourn is the slow, inescapable death of our Constitutional guarantees. Where in the Constitution does it say the president can kill someone whose name he puts on a list? Our constitution says exactly the opposite. Most people would be grateful that 40 years ago President Nixon didn't have the ability to put his enemies on a kill list.
Did you know that the Department of Education has its own law-enforcement unit? (Read this Washington Post blog: http://wapo.st/agXeUS). Then, you probably won't be surprised to learn that just about every department of our government is equally well equipped. Why is it necessary for every department of the federal government to have its own private army?
The troubling signs of government excesses are everywhere. How about the many images of citizens being tased for minor infractions? How about the OWS protesters having pepper spray methodically sprayed in their faces? SWAT teams kicking down farmer's doors because they dared to drink and sell raw milk. I wonder how those in the tea party movement will feel when their names are put on a government list? Oh, that's right, they already were; and Ron Paul supporters; and those who homeschool their children; and let's not forget the most dangerous group of all who have found themselves on the Homeland Security watch list ... our returning soldiers.
America is fiscally bankrupt, and poll after poll shows that our politicians are held in disdain by the American people. Not surprisingly, in an attempt to keep order during the very dicey times that might lie ahead, the government is ignoring our Constitution and voting themselves unlimited power. It's what all governments do when they lose the support of the people. I hope I'm not alone in being nervous about the lengths my government is going to "protect" me. I stand with the ACLU on this one.
------------------------------

In the words of Kris Kristofferson . . .

"Laws are for Protection of the People"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/songs/Law_is_for_Protection.mp3

"Billy Dalton staggered on the sidewalk someone said he stumbled and he fell
Six squad cars came screamin' to the rescue hauled old Billy Dalton off to jail
Cause the law is for protection of the people rules're rules and any fool can see
We don't need no drunks like Billy Dalton scaring decent folks like you and me no siree

Homar Lee was nothing but a hippie walkin' through this world without a care
Then one day six strapping brave policemen held down Homar Lee and cut his hair
Cause the law is for protection of the people rules're rules and any fool can see
We don't need no hairy headed hippies scaring decent folks like you and me no siree

Oh so thank your lucky stars we've got protection
Walk the line and never mind the cost
And no wonder who them lawmen were protecting
When they nailed the Saviour to the cross
Cause the law is for protection of the people
Rules're rules and any fool can see
We don't need no riddle speaking prophets
Scarin' decent folks like you and me . . . No siree."

Seeya later, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Spokane, Washington

"If not us, who?