[Vision2020] Tell Us, Mr. Borden . . .

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 18:00:39 PST 2011

I think Jay's attempt to put this in context is worthwhile.  The police
did go out of their way, leading up to the pepper spraying incident, to
get the student's to peacefully disperse.  They made it clear that force
was to be used.  This is much different than the normal 30-second clip
that makes it look it like they simply pepper-sprayed them just for the
sheer joy of it.  If the students hadn't been surrounding the police in
a lame attempt to keep them contained in order to force them to let the
others go, the police wouldn't have done what they did.  For instance,
if they had lined up in two rows along the edge of the sidewalk, then I
don't think that anything would have happened.  There are consequences
for trying to stop a police officer from making an arrest in the line of
duty.

Having said that, though, I think the police officers went too far.  It
was clear by how easy the police officer stepped over the line of
protesters that they were never in any real danger of being contained.
They could have left at any time.  They could also have moved the
protesters bodily out of the way like they ended up doing to many of
them, anyway, especially after reinforcements arrived to help.  It was
possible for them to have taken the students they had arrested earlier
on to the station in a way that didn't involve assault with a chemical
weapon.  The protesters did most things right.  They didn't resist
arrest, they didn't throw anything, they didn't try to push the police
around.  They were being pretty stupid when they decided to surround the
police, though.  I'd qualify that as a threatening action.  They thought
they had found a way to keep their buddies from being arrested.
However, if you are going to go the civil disobedience route, you should
expect to get arrested.  That's how it works.

Like most things in life, this was more complex than it looks on the
surface.  It wasn't a bunch of innocent protesters sitting idly around
getting pepper sprayed for no reason, nor was pepper spraying the
protesters the only sane alternative. There were plenty of actions both
sides could have taken to have avoided this confrontation.

Paul