[Vision2020] Earthlike Planet Found Orbiting at Right Distance for Life

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 12:33:03 PST 2011

I'd really like to see what this planet really looks like.

Unfortunately, this planet is 600 light years away.  The fastest
spacecraft that I've been able to discover appears to be Voyager I,
which is traveling at a sedate 17,260 m/s.  If the probe happens to be
pointed exactly such that it will fly right by this planet (of which the
odds of that happening are, if you'll pardon the expression,
astronomical) then if my calculations are correct it will get there in
just over 10 million years.  Assuming it's still functioning after all
that time (which is to say the least, unlikely), then a mere 600 years
later we'll get our first images of the planetary surface.

Space is big.

On the other hand, if we can get a conversation started with whatever
may live there via radio or lasers or something, we only have to wait
1200 years to ask them to send us some pics and to wait for them to get
here.  That's not so bad.

Paul