[Vision2020] Donald Trump to Host GOP Debate (Really . . . quit laughing)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Dec 2 14:58:43 PST 2011

Courtesy of Talking Points Memo at:

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/12/donald-trump-is-hosting-a-gop-debate.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

--------------------------------
Donald Trump Will Moderate A GOP Debate

Just when you were starting to get bored with the Republican primary debates, Donald Trump steps up.

The (barely) flaxen-haired businessman is teaming up with the conservative news website Newsmax to moderate a debate in Iowa on December 27, theNew York Times reports.

Newsmax CEO Christopher Ruddy said, “Our readers and the grass roots really love Trump. They may not agree with him on everything, but they don’t see him as owned by the Washington establishment, the media establishment.”

Donald Trump told MSNBC he thinks the debate will be a change of pace. “I think we’ll have a great debate,” he said. “We’re going to have an interesting evening.”

When asked if his appearance will only add to the reality television element of the debates, Trump responded by saying he hopes the debate performs as well as his show, “The Apprentice.”

And finally, Trump told MSNBC he is likely to endorse a candidate shortly after the debate.

Trump — who briefly flirted (or at least pretended to) with a presidential run — has positioned himself as a sort of kingmaker in the 2012 election, meeting with everyone from Mitt Romney to Michele Bachmann. And earlier this week, news broke that Newt Gingrich is planning to make a pilgrimage to Trump Tower.

The debate will be broadcast on Ion Television, a basic cable channel, a week before the Iowa caucuses. Ion Television did not immediately respond to TPM’s request for comment.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"

- Unknown