[Vision2020] Say What?

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Fri Dec 2 14:25:16 PST 2011

Jay and V2020 readers,

I probably should clarify some issues associated with my recent comments on Newt and his half-assed remarks.  I did go to work (and thought myself extraordinarily fortunate) immediately after my 16th birthday at Gritman Hospital.  And, I need hardly mention that in those long ago days nurse’s aides cleaned a lot of rooms, changed linen on beds, and emptied bedpans.  It was not glamorous work especially if one only considered the job description.  But I learned so much that a snotty, self-important teenager like me needed to learn.  I earned my own spending money,  I learned that I was not the center of the universe, I witnessed both death and birth at a relatively young age,  and those experiences changed my worldview and my sense of what is really important, that is, people not things. In fairness, Peter, Paul and Mary, not to mention Joan Baez, also deserve some credit.  I wish every teen could have the working and learning opportunity that I had.

I specifically mentioned race in my email because I believe that Newt is not so subtly appealing to racist notions of welfare queens living in Detroit wasting tax payers money, addicted to crack and the shopping networks. Somehow, I doubt he is referring to Pine Ridge South Dakota where grinding poverty and lack of employment is heartbreakingly beyond our understanding or experience.  I don’t think he was referring to the thousands of families who have had their homes foreclosed <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/22/foreclosure-us-america-mortgage-payment_n_933106.html>  in the last couple of years.  Newt and this third wife probably don’t run into those folks on their trips to Tiffany’s.  And he certainly couldn’t be referencing the 13 million + who are unemployed through no fault of their own.

I am a fiscal conservative too.  I want our government to stop immediately funding pointless, never ending wars, in the middle East. I am sick unto death that we prop up every tin pot dictator and tribal crook who we hope will do us a favorite someday. Every person on V2020 has a laundry list of wasted government money.  However, unlike you, I’m not such a fan of unregulated private enterprise, nor do I necessarily believe that govt. programs, public schools for example, produce a less credible product.

Rose Huskey