[Vision2020] Say What?

Jay Borden jborden at datawedge.com
Thu Dec 1 21:13:48 PST 2011

Indeed…

I grew up in Nebraska… where every kid knows the process of “detassling corn”…

When I was 13, I spent the summer shucking and detassling corn … as did a whole host of other kids.

The next summer, I knew I didn’t want to do that again… so I asked the local farmers if they wanted their barns re-painted.  For the next two summers, I painted barns for uber-cheap over the summer… making more than I would have detassling corn, but keeping the price low enough so that the farmers couldn’t refuse the good deal… and made enough money by the next summer to purchase my first car and pay for all of my insurance (which was the condition my parents set forth for owning the car).

If I can do that, I’m sure some other kids can handle working in the library or mopping a floor.

Jay