[Vision2020] Commentary on Henry Johnston's Megaload Op/Ed

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Aug 31 12:39:41 PDT 2011

Copied and pasted below are comments submitted by Brett Haverstick to Murf
Raquet, Editor of the Moscow-Pullman daily News.

--------------------------------------

Murf,

With regard to Mr. Johnston's guest column yesterday I want to
reiterate that I am grateful to live in a country where freedom of
speech is a big part of our democratic fabric. This right certainly
applies to any and all, regardless if you agree or disagree with
their point of view.

However, I was embarrassed for our community yesterday after I
digested the tone, language and name-calling used throughout his
piece. Mr. Johnston has every right to express his views, but I do
not think he is deserving of such a showcase or column in our
community newspaper. His piece was incredibly disrespectful,
downright offending, and he owes Daily News readership an apology.
While I understand that the Daily News has an agreement with Mr.
Johnston to print his column, I am greatly dissapointed that the
editorial staff does not use better judgment in printing  such
pieces. Regardless of the agreement, the newspaper should have the
final say as to whether or not the content expressed in the opinion
piece is flagrant, offensive or inappropriate for print.

Thank you for allowing me to share my concerns. As an educated and
proud member our community, I expect better from the editorial staff
at the Daily News.

Brett

Thanks, Brett.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."