[Vision2020] Upon Reflection

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Aug 27 07:26:02 PDT 2011

Of all the comments and statements made in regard to Moscow's megaload
madness, none of them upset me more than this one printed in the August
27, 2011 edition of the Moscow-Pullman Daily News:

--------------------------------------

"University of Idaho law student Al Baker and a group of his friends stood
on a corner opposite the protesters, holding signs supporting the
megaloads and oil sands project.

He said he didn't think the megaload was something worth protesting, given
the amount of work done to determine the feasibility of its travel plan.
He held a sign that said, 'I (heart) commerce.'

Fellow counterprotester and law student Reed Colten said the oil sands
project didn't concern him.

'Have you been to the gas station lately?' he asked. 'The more oil, the
better.'"

--------------------------------------

The rhetorical suggestions, hidden in Mr. Baker's and Mr. Colten's words,
are . . .

Why should we be concerned about the repercussions of our actions?

Why fret about tomorrow and the inherent problems our actions will produce
to which our children, and our children's children, will be forced to
respond?

Why not profit here and now?

The problem, Mr. Baker and Mr. Colten, is that this is the only planet we
have.  If we cannot actively (or, at minimum, passively) get along with
each other (where the option is simply to ignore one another), we must
genuinely get along with our environment (where the alternative may be
incomprehensible).

You may be willing to gamble the safety and survival of future generations
for a few pennies in your pocket.  I assure you, Al Baker and Reed Colten,
I AM NOT!

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a website to update and, I am certain,
there is a Tea Party caucus awaiting your attendance.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Author Unknown