[Vision2020] Town-gown relations

Carl Westberg idahovandal1 at live.com
Thu Aug 25 13:47:53 PDT 2011

I posed this question once before here with no response, but given the current circumstances, I wonder how town-gown relations are viewed in Moscow.  Several posters to Vandal Venue (obviously a forum for Vandal fans, some of them bordering on obsessive, and few who actually currently live here) have taken Moscow residents to task for "not appreciating" the University of Idaho and "not supporting" the U of I.  The main reason among these particular folk is that apparently, if you live in Moscow and have a pulse, it's absolutely shameful of you if you don't attend Vandal athletic events, and are not demanding a 30,000 seat outdoor football stadium and new basketball arena.  Obviously the views of somewhat fanatical sports boosters.  But reading those posts, looking beyond their narrow vision of "caring about" or "supporting" the University of Idaho, begs the question of just what the state of town/gown relations are.  Good?  Bad?  Indifferent?  Who cares?  Has the city/university relationship changed over the years, or is it still pretty much the way it has always been?