[Vision2020] Family wants U of I to be forthcoming about Bustamante

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 24 19:59:33 PDT 2011

How disappointing that CYA has already begun in earnest.  SL

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/128350733.html

By KBOI Web StaffPublished: Aug 24, 2011 at 4:56 PM MDTLast Updated: Aug 24,
2011 at 6:53 PM MDT

BOISE, Idaho - The family of Katy Benoit has released a new statement to the
media regarding her death, the University of Idaho and Ernesto Bustamante.

The following is an updated family statement

"Katy had shared with us details about her issues with Ernesto Bustamante.
She was deeply alarmed by Bustamante's behavior and rhetoric. After
receiving threats and intimidation from Bustamante, we believed Katy had
obtained a restraining order, changed addresses and filed a complaint with
the University of Idaho.

"Our family had grave concerns when we heard that the University may have
received complaints from other students about Bustamante, and that Katy was
the only one willing to sign her name to a complaint. We hope that the
University will be forthcoming in disclosing everything that went on this
past summer in response to Bustamante's behavior towards Katy and others,
including the University's involvement."

The University of Idaho issued the following response Wednesday evening:

"We're committed to the safety of our University community. We're saddened
by recent events, but we are obligated to protect student and employee
rights.

As the Moscow Police Department has confirmed there is no court record of a
restraining order ever sought or obtained relating to Kathryn Benoit.

We are committed to the release of all university records for which we have
the legal ability to release. In the meantime we can share with you an
understanding of the university processes and policies that govern any
situation in which allegations are made.

The Moscow Police Department indicated in its statements to the press that
there may have been a relationship between former professor Ernesto
Bustamante and our deceased student Kathryn Benoit. Like other universities,
the University of Idaho is generally prohibited by federal law from
discussing the specifics of our student records, and by state statute, from
discussing the specifics of personnel actions relating to our employees.
University policy honors these privacy rights and expectations.
Consequently, at this time, the university cannot provide any further
information about either the existence of a relationship or actions the
university may have taken with respect to these two individuals. However, we
can tell you about the policies which guide us in these matters.

The university discourages consensual romantic or sexual relationships
between faculty and students. (See
www.uidaho.edu/facultysecretary/assemesterbegins). It is a violation of the
university's ethics and conflicts policies if the relationship involves a
faculty member and a student for whom the faculty has an academic
relationship, such as having the student in a class or serving as the
student's academic advisor. (FSH 3170A-1 & B-3a; FSH 6240) These
relationships are prohibited.

When we are notified of a relationship between a faculty member and a
student and there is an indication of inappropriate behavior by the faculty
member, or when there is a complaint of sexual misconduct, we address it as
a matter of potential sexual harassment under the university's sexual
harassment policy (FSH3220). The university's Office of Human Rights, Access
and Inclusion conducts a thorough investigation, interviewing all parties
and examining all relevant evidence. A copy of the investigation procedure
can be found at
www.uidaho.edu/diversityandhumanrights/hrai/policyandprocedure/discriminatio

If, during the course of an investigation, or otherwise, there is indication
of a credible threat to persons or property, the university conducts a
threat assessment utilizing a team of experienced professionals within and
outside the university to assess the threat and direct appropriate actions.
Persons who are determined to be at risk are contacted, apprised of the risk
and counseled in ways to avoid or minimize the risk. Where appropriate, law
enforcement is engaged and persons at risk are also encouraged to make their
own contacts with law enforcement. When appropriate, if there is evidence
indicating that employees or students may be at risk of crisis, they are
counseled to seek assistance. The university maintains an Employee
Assistance Program for this purpose and operates the Counseling and Testing
Center for our students.

This investigation process results in a University determination whether an
action against the employee, including possible dismissal, would be
appropriate. If so, the process for discipline is engaged. These are seldom
trivial matters. They have direct and significant impact on the lives of the
involved students and faculty. They are treated with the utmost seriousness.

Throughout the process the University remains cognizant and respectful of
the individual rights of all persons involved. The university's
confidentiality policies with respect to student information, personnel
records and ongoing investigations are followed, within the bounds of
safety.

The safety of our campus community is paramount. We do not ignore or
shortchange safety concerns once aware of them. We endeavor to support our
community members to the fullest extent they are willing to be guided. This
includes helping them gain assistance from campus and off-campus
professionals to include legal, protective and police services as
appropriate.

We are committed to protecting our faculty, staff and students to the
fullest extent possible. This is an unchanging constant, even if each
investigation may otherwise be unique."