[Vision2020] U.S. Fines WSU for Campus Safety

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 14:55:00 PDT 2011

It doesn't sound like the WSU police were primarily at fault. Re: "record manager, and failure to distribute information = campus bureaucracy,
From the Daily Snooze:
"Findings
The first incident stemmed from an
Aug. 31, 2007, call to campus police that was incorrectly labeled as a
"domestic dispute" and never corrected even though investigators found
the case may have included a rape. The victim reportedly submitted a
written statement that said a friend of her husband had sexually
assaulted her.
Darin Watkins, WSU's executive
director of external relations, said investigators looked into the issue at the time and determined that the case was unfounded.
"But we never updated it from being domestic violence to a rape case," Watkins said.
The second incident involved a Jan. 27, 2007, police report of sexual assault in a dormitory. The report
was labeled as "unfounded" by a records manager after the victim decided not to provide substantiating information to police.
The records manager had no
authority to label the case unfounded, however, and that action caused
the case to be removed from campus crime statistics.
Both cases were part of one finding filed against WSU.
Another finding said the university did not follow every federal rule concerning its annual security
report, which the federal government requires universities to distribute to all students and employees each fall. Federal officials found WSU
did not include information about its counseling services, its policy on disclosure of crime statistics and information on sanctions the
university may impose for sexual offenses.
The law calls for fines of up to $27,500 for each violation"

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA