[Vision2020] Women, religion and fishnets

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sat Aug 20 09:00:47 PDT 2011

Women, religion and fishnets
Published: August 19
I do not agree with Alexandra Petri ["Submitting to stupid questions," op-ed, Aug. 13] that the question Byron York asked Michele Bachmann in the GOP debate last week was stupid. Ms. Bachmann was asked whether, as president, she would be submissive to her husband. The question was fair not because Ms. Bachmann is a woman but because she acknowledges being a member of, and taking seriously, a religion that requires her to submit to her husband.

I would never want a president who professed an obligation to submit to any other person for whom nobody had voted. I imagine plenty of other voters share that concern, regardless of the reason for submission; the fact that, in Ms. Bachmann's case, it stems from her religion does not immunize it against scrutiny.

If there were such a thing as a religion that required its male adherents to be submissive to their wives, I would hope the same entirely appropriate question would be asked of any male member of that religion who ran for president. But I have never heard of such a religion. Why not? That is the question that Ms. Petri, and feminists generally, ought to be asking.

Paul Mondor, Washington

Wayne A. Fox
wayne.a.fox at gmail.com