[Vision2020] Gas prices [was: Can we not find...]

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 01:59:42 PDT 2011

The government does have a big say in the cost of oil. It can manipulate it with oil reserves, creating or denying pipelines, creating or stopping war in regions of the world that supply oil, it can more strictly enforce or relax enforcement of laws and regulations, it can open or close places to drill oil, it can also increase or decrease tax on oil. It can also increase demand and reduce supply by creating projects that require the use of oil. There are about 10000 other ways it can indirectly impact the price of oil without the passage of any new laws. The reality is, however, that the oil companies control both political parties.
The OPEC and Middle East oil is less than 6% of US oil supply. The US gets most of its oil, about 90%, just from the US, Canada, and Mexico. The price of oil is controlled by the market, which is impacted heavily by events controlled by governments and large companies.
Big oil companies make their money off volume, but also by manipulating the political system, markets, and taking the oil from government owned lands.
The gas prices go up quickly because the owners of the gas station have to make enough money on this tanker of gas to fill it up again which will cost them more.

Donovan Arnold