[Vision2020] Gas prices [was: Can we not find...]

Jay Borden jborden at datawedge.com
Fri Aug 19 11:26:11 PDT 2011

Aside from taxes, it doesn't matter what party is in office, they have
very little (if any) control over the cost of gasoline.  (Foreign wars
and unrest in the middle east not withstanding).  The BIG OIL companies
that many on here love to bash so heavily also have very little to do
with the cost of fuel at the pump.  If you take a peek at their model,
it's a pretty straight-forward "cost-of-goods to produce + markup"
business.  Yes, a VERY BIG BUSINESS, but one that makes the profit on
VOLUME, not on price gouging.

The two largest driving forces in the cost of oil?  OPEC and taxes.

The government makes more in taxes on a single gallon of gasoline than
the BIG OIL company that refined it and delivered it to your local gas
station.  (If I remember reading it correctly, this has been true for
the past 25 years, with only 1 or 2 years being an exception).

The other driving force, OPEC, is just unified enough to keep the
supply/demand metric at a price point JUST above the break-even point
for alternative forms of energy to become economically viable... and
they damned well know it.  (They produce something like 45% of the
world's crude oil supply... so they are the 800 pound gorilla in the
market).   If indicators show that suddenly a new form of wind
technology or solar energy design can be made for cheaper, by some
MIRACLE the cost per barrel of oil goes down just a tad.    OPEC is
business collusion in its WORST form.

Think about it this way:  a 42-gallon "barrel" of oil sold on the market
today is right around $84 (rounding to make the math easy).

That means that the COST of the oil is $2 a gallon before it goes to any
refining process... tack on a refining cost, tack on
transportation/distribution costs and then tack on taxes... and now
you're starting to approach the current cost of a gallon of gasoline.

This is why I roll my eyes when morons like Bachman declare "when I'm
president, I'll return to $2.00 a gallon gasoline" [to paraphrase]...
(yah, good luck with that).

Jay