[Vision2020] U of I Naval ROTC building is history

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Aug 17 17:32:51 PDT 2011

The former Naval ROTC building on the University of Idaho campus is history.

At this moment it is being loaded by track-mounted excavating equipment ( a
swiveling backhoe on caterpillar treads ) into dump trucks that are hauling it
away.

Conversation this afternoon revealed that the short-term plans are for green
space at that location, and building there as money is available. Well, that's
easy enough about which to speculate.

Indeed, I already have in mind a two-stage project to build from the south
side of the Forestry Building up to the sidewalk north of what used to be the
old Chrisman Hall as Phase I. Move all of the faculty out of the Faculty Office
Center, or Brink Hall, into the completed Phase I, then tear down old hall,
and build Phase II. Both phases should be multi-story towers whose tops don't
exceed the Administration building height, still allowing several floors.

Purposes, proposals, and plans may still be speculative for new uses of the
NROTC building space, but the fact that what replaced a World War II quonset
hut is now history is not speculation, but fact.

Ken