[Vision2020] New Hotel

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sat Aug 13 09:46:27 PDT 2011

I was drafting this last night and it got sent prematurely to Dan by mistakenly holding the ctrl key instead of the Shft.

The proposed new hotel:

It will add some service jobs to the local economy.
It might add some short term construction jobs locally depending on who the contractors are.
It will add some additional revenue during construction.
It will fill that ugly gap on Pullman Road which gives the impression to some of a dying community.
It will keep income and tax receipts in Idaho as opposed to the hotels proposed in Pullman and in the ghostly Hawkins Mall.
It will add some needed lodging capacity for both Moscow and Pullman not only for the Jazz Festival but for graduation and athletic events.
It will bring more customers for Moscow restaurants, etc.

This along with WalMart's decision to redo their Moscow store is probably the death knell for the proposed Hawkins Mall, a Idaho income and tax revenue sucking proposal.  The local champion of this project, ally/investment enticer for the Hawkins Group, and the same, a politician who has an exhibited conflict of interest in this matter will most likely suffer a loss of face and standing among certain investors and now likely to be former political allies.

I hope no local government funds or tax breaks have been promised here.  And I hope the traffic engineering for the site is very carefully and intelligently planned.

w.