[Vision2020] CNN Breaking News

Jay Borden jborden at datawedge.com
Thu Aug 11 15:05:44 PDT 2011

I really must stop reading these emails while drinking carbonated
beverages.  :)

Not sure about killing the tax on groceries (I would have to put some
more thought into that, I suppose)... but my knee-jerk reaction is that
it simply because it allows for too easy of a loophole for further "tax
loopholes"... ("Hey, we don't tax on FOOD, so therefore we shouldn't tax
on CANDY... and because we don't tax on CANDY, we shouldn't tax on
SODA... and if we don't tax on SODA, we shouldn't tax on BEER (which is
just adult soda-candy, right?).

Seems like to ensure we don't get into "tax creep" that there can be no
sacred cows.  If it's purchased on a RETAIL LEVEL, it's taxed... makes
it MUCH harder to create exceptions (which lead us back into our current
tax nightmare) and MUCH harder to RAISE the tax rates, since EVERY TAX
INCREASE would be "across the board".

Jay