[Vision2020] And the Saga Continues

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 22:28:13 PDT 2011

Because it's never been so much ado about nothing before?

The S&P credit downgrade is silly.  If you hold T-bills, you have
absolutely nothing to worry about.  The U.S. has never failed to make
it's interest payments, and it really can't default since it can just
print the money it needs to pay you off since it's all denominated in
U.S. dollars.

The debt ceiling thing had nothing really to do with the trillions we
have in debt.  It was about meeting our pre-budgeted allocations.  It's
like a husband and wife agreeing on what to buy for the year but then
remembering later that they had made a New Years pledge to not spend
more than $X.  Normally, they would just decide to ignore that number,
since they had already committed to their purchases together and had
already put the purchases on their card, but, alas, they've been
fighting lately so they made a big stink about it.

 From what I've seen, this is different than the real financial troubles
we had back in 2008, which we are still reeling from.  And since S&P
didn't see that one coming (or pointedly looked the other way), I don't
know why we even care what they rate our bonds as.

I'm not an economist, and I wouldn't put it past the people in charge
not to do something really stupid in order to "fix" this.  I just feel
that this is a manufactured tragedy and it will go away as soon as there
is something else interesting and shiny in the news to focus on.

Time will tell, I guess.

Paul