[Vision2020] CNN Breaking News

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 09:45:42 PDT 2011

The US debt is in part the result of tax cuts during the W. Bush
years, while fighting two expensive wars.   W. Bush trickle down
economics was more like trickle up, and led to a failure to regulate
Wall Street and banking partly causing a credit market collapse, which
added to the debt with a lowering of revenue from a recession.

Note these comments from economic conservative free market promoter
former Federal Reserve Chair Greenspan, admiting that under his reign
in the W. Bush years, securities should have been more regulated, and
his comment from 2011, that the W. Bush tax cuts should expire:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/10/23/us-financial-greenspan-idUSTRE49M58W20081023
 Greenspan "shocked" at credit system breakdown
 (Reuters) - Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan told
Congress on Thursday he is "shocked" at the breakdown in U.S. credit
markets and said he was "partially" wrong to resist regulation of some
securities.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/04/17/greenspan-steps-up-call-to-end-bush-era-tax-cuts/
“This crisis is so imminent and so difficult that I think we have to
allow the so-called Bush tax cuts all to expire. That is a very big
number,” he said, referring to how much the U.S. government could save
from letting income taxes go back up to levels last seen under former
President Bill Clinton

-----------------
Standard and Poor mentioned of course lowering spending, but also
emphasized ending the Bush-era tax cuts as an option that they were
not confident the US government could achieve.  This ideological
intransigence regarding taxation from the W. Bush years now into the
Tea Party era is clearly part of the reason for the US credit
downgrade:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-06/u-s-credit-rating-cut-by-s-p-for-first-time-on-deficit-reduction-accord.html

U.S. Loses AAA Rating on Concern About Debt Cuts
QBy John Detrixhe - Aug 6, 20

"S&P lowered the U.S. one level to AA+ while keeping the outlook at
“negative” as it becomes less confident Congress will end Bush-era tax
cuts..."
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett