[Vision2020] Teachers union sues Otter, Luna over reform law

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Apr 27 16:45:17 PDT 2011

Courtesy of the Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Teachers union sues Otter, Luna over reform law

 BOISE — The Idaho teachers union has filed a lawsuit against the governor
and public schools chief Tom Luna over a new law that phase out teacher
tenure and restricts collective bargaining.

 Officials with the Idaho Education Association said today they were
challenging the constitutionality of the bill in a lawsuit filed in
district court.

The measure is among three pieces of school reform legislation that Luna
and Otter championed during the 2011 Idaho Legislature, where the reforms
triggered contentious debate. The new laws eliminate tenure for new
teachers and limit collect bargaining while also shifting money from
salaries to fund new classroom technology and a merit pay plan.

The governor's office said today it had not yet seen the lawsuit and
declined to comment. Luna's office was still reviewing the complaint.

For the teachers . . .

"Solidarity Forever"
http://www.TomandRodna.com/Songs/Solidarity_Forever.mp3

"When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
But the union makes us strong

Solidarity forever, Solidarity forever
Solidarity forever, for the union makes us strong!

It is we who plowed the prairies, built the cities where they trade
Dug the mines and built the workshops, endless miles of railroad laid
Now we stand outcast and starving 'mid the wonders we have made
But the union makes us strong

They have taken untold millions that they never toiled to earn
But without our brain and muscle, not a single wheel can turn
We can break their haughty power, gain our freedom when we learn
That the union makes us strong

It is we that wash the dishes, scrub the floors and chase the dirt
Feed the kids and send them off to school and then we go to work
Where we work for half wages for a boss that likes to flirt
But the union makes us strong."

-------------

"What Did You Learn In School Today"
http://www.TomandRodna.com/Songs/What_Did_You_Learn_in_School_Today.mp3

"What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
 I learned that Washington never told a lie
 I learned that soldiers seldom die
 I learned that everybody's free
 That's what the teacher said to me
 And that's what I learned in school today
 That's what I learned in school
 What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
 I learned that policemen are my friends
 I learned that justice never ends
 I learned that murderers die for their crimes
 Even if we make a mistake sometimes
 And that's what I learned in school today
 That's what I learned in school
 What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
 I learned that war is not so bad
 I learned about the great ones we have had
 We fought in Germany and in France
 And someday I might get my chance
 And that's what I learned in school today
 That's what I learned in school
 What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
 I learned that our government must be strong
 It's always right and never wrong
 Our leaders are the finest men
 So we elect them again and again
 And that's what I learned in school today
 That's what I learned in school"

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Teaching is not a science.  Teaching is an art."

- Unknown