[Vision2020] PR - City and SR2S Celebrate Fill the Racks!

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Apr 27 09:28:10 PDT 2011

Stephanie -

It would be like really cool if downtown Moscow could enjoin and
participate in the "Fill the Racks" campaign, but our city council voted
down bike racks on Main Street.

Too bad, huh?

On Wed, April 27, 2011 9:24 am, Stephanie Kalasz wrote:
> City of Moscow
> 206 E Third Street
> Moscow, ID 83843
> Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
> p     |  208-883-7006
> e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
> w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>
>
> PRESS RELEASE
> City of Moscow, University of Idaho and Safe Routes to School Celebrate
> National Bike Month with Fill the Racks!
>
> April 27, 2011 (Moscow, Idaho) - The City of Moscow and the Safe Routes to
> School (SR2S) program are encouraging students to bike, roll, or glide to
> school on Wednesday, May 4th for Fill the Racks!
>
> Fill the Racks! is an annual event held in the month of May during
> National Bike Month.  All Moscow Public and Charter Schools grades K-8 are
> participating.
>
> Each school is organizing unique and fun activities for their students.
> All students who get to school by active travel (including walking and/or
> bus) will be given prizes from Safe Routes to School. All bikers are
> encouraged to wear helmets! Features of this year's event include:
>

> *         Parents, U of I students and community volunteers will be
> helping with the morning's events at each school
>
> *         The University of Idaho Cycling Team will be at each school
> checking kid's bikes and providing tips on biking techniques.
>
> *         Schools that achieve their goal to "fill the racks" will receive
> a prize from SR2S
>
> *         An Active Travel mural will be drawn on the parking lot near the
> Jr. High Tennis courts. Ideas and designs have been put together by the
> Moscow Jr. High art students and University of Idaho Art, Artist and
> Madness class.
>
> *         Reflectors for bike spokes and other Safe Routes to School
> incentives will be given out.
>
> SR2S events always encourage safety, physical activity, reduced traffic
> congestion, and the enjoyment of the outdoors together as a community.
> Parents, teachers and community leaders are encouraged to visit Moscow's
> new SR2S website at www.SR2Smoscow.com<http://www.SR2Smoscow.com> for
> ideas, resource links and more details about this event.
>
> The City of Moscow and SR2S program thank the Moscow community for their
> support for these safe and fun events.
>
> For more information and questions on this and other SR2S initiatives,
> please contact Moscow's SR2S Coordinator Brooke Lowry at
> blowry at uidaho.edu<mailto:blowry at uidaho.edu>.
>
> ###
>
> Story Contact: Brooke Lowry, Safe Routes to School Coordinator
> Phone: 208-596-0879
> Email: blowry at uidaho.edu<mailto:blowry at uidaho.edu>
>

> The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring
> responsible use of resources. We anticipate and meet the needs of our
> diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of
> community.

> [...]

"The Pessimist complains about the wind, the Optimist expects it to
changeand the Realist adjusts his sails."

 - Unknown