[Vision2020] Military Rethinks Polar Command as Ice Caps Melt

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 18:31:58 PDT 2011

I can't speak for the conservatives, because I don't think of myself as
one, but I would hope that if the Arctic melted enough that ship travel
through it became routine that they would take that into account in
their strategic planning.

Most skeptics I've seen, myself included, believe that the earth is
indeed warming, some minor inconsistencies between the various data sets
aside.  Has been for a couple hundred years or more.  What we are
skeptical of is the amount of warming attributed to CO2, and are
skeptical of many of the scarier predictions of the effects of the
steady increase of CO2 in our atmosphere.  We also disagree on what our
priorities should be right now as a country and as a global population.

The arctic is fluctuating quite a bit year-to-year, month-to-month, and
even day-to-day.  For example, Ted posted a while back about how the
extent of arctic sea ice tied for the lowest amount for (I think) the
month since at least 2002.  If you look at it now, you'll see that it is
now about dead even between the highest and lowest extents for this time
of year since 2002.  I wouldn't put much stock in the arctic is melting
away theory right now, just as I wouldn't suggest that it's on it's way
back to pre-industrial levels of ice (if we can even guess what those
levels were).  What seems more likely to me is that it fluctuates
dramatically all the time.

Arctic sea ice extent link:
http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/seaice/extent/AMSRE_Sea_Ice_Extent_L.png

Paul