[Vision2020] Solar City: Offering Solar Power Without Large Up-Front Costs

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 23:41:04 PDT 2011

I first heard of Solar City recently on Bloomberg News "Venture:"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-07/solar-city-turning-sunshine-into-savings.html

I'm not sure if Solar City is currently capable of serving the
Palouse, but their business model may eventually reach this area:
solar power for residential applications that avoids the large
up-front costs that discourage many from adopting solar:

http://www.solarcity.com/residential/solar-lease.aspx

At SolarCity we believe clean solar energy should be affordable for
everyone. That's why we created the groundbreaking solar lease option
SolarLease®, a way for homeowners to go solar without any upfront cost
and save money from day one.

Go Solar for $0 Down
Now you can afford to go solar without the high initial cost of
installing a system. Instead of buying the equipment, you simply lease
it. SolarLease is the most popular residential solar financing option
in the country!

Save on Electricity Costs from Day One
With a SolarLease, you pay as you go, instead of all at once. The
combination of your low monthly lease payment and smaller electricity
bill is typically less than what you pay the utility company today. So
you can start saving money from the very first day.

Savings Grow Every Year
Your savings can grow over time as utility rates continue to increase.
Historically, utility rates have increased over 5% every year. With
SolarLease, you can lock in lower electricity rates for the term of
your lease.