[Vision2020] Sine Die Legislative Update from Rep. Trail

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Sun Apr 10 11:05:46 PDT 2011

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER 13--APRIL 4-8/2011

Constituents -- we adjourned sine die late Thursday so
whatever damage has been done will end on that date.  I'll summarize the session with
the good, the bad, and the ugly.

1  Highlights
-- the highlights are far and few between this session.

a.  PERSI  --  PERSI was under attack from a number of legislators who
wanted to change the defined benefit aspect of one of the top pension
programs in the country. Fortunately, no legislation floated to the top,
so PERSI survived.

b.   UI Ag
Research and Extension Budget -- Agriculture is the most important
economic component of the Idaho economy, and through the exerted efforts
of the Senate and House Ag Committees and the Farm Organizations,  JFAC approved a flat budget with
no cuts. This was a small but vital victory.

c.   HB148 -- Land
Use Planning and HB 210 -- Right to Farm Act  --  The
Land Use Planning bill provides agriculture with a place at the table when
land use planning decisions are made. The Right to Farm Act outlines in
more detail what farming operations can do if they want to expand and
provides protection against certain types of lawsuits. Any expansion of
agricultural operations will still have to go through city/county
permitting processes.

d.   50th
Anniversary of the Peace Corps -- Idaho has sent almost 1,400 volunteers
to about 62 countries abroad. The University of Idaho has provided almost
500 of those volunteers.  Gov.
Otter declared March 1st as Returned Idaho Peace Corps Volunteer Month and
both the Senate and the House passed legislation recognizing the work of
the returned Peace Corps Volunteers.

e.   Legalizing
Medical Marijuana received one and a half hours in a hearing before the
House Health and Welfare Committee.

2.
Education  --  S.P.I. (Superintendent of Public
Instruction) Luna and the Governor managed to push their three major
educational bills through the Legislature. Some of the major components
are pay for performance, an increase in on-line courses, and supplying
mobile devices for both students and teachers over a four year period.
S.P.I. Luna had not mentioned anything about this plan during his campaign
last fall and made the major announcement on January 12th. None of the
stakeholders was involved in the process of developing the plans including
teachers, school administrators, parents, and school boards. There was
tremendous opposition to the proposals. I received hundreds of e mails and
about 95% were opposed and 5% supportive. The State Board of Education,
who by the Constitution is responsible for K12 education, was never
involved in the planning process according to the Board
Chairman.

There will be an effort to put an initiative on the ballot in 2012
to overturn the legislation. S.P.I. Luna predicted that 700 teachers would
lose their jobs under this new legislation, but several legislators
including Rep. Steve Hartgen noted that they felt that mobile devices
would replace about 25% of Idaho public school teachers in a few
years.   Many outstanding
teachers are already applying for jobs outside the
state.

3.
Budget  --  To many the fact that Idaho has a
balanced budget without increasing taxes is a reason to celebrate.    A balanced budget does
give Idaho a higher bond rating. However, with a 9.7% unemployment rate,
several future consequences of the balanced budget without additional
revenues is apparent.
We may over the next few years see 3,000 or more teachers
unemployed. The cuts involved in the Health Care and Medicaid Programs are
estimated to eliminate about 1,000 jobs. So we will be faced with more
unemployed applying for unemployment benefits, food stamps, etc. and
citizens unable to pay their mortgages or pay taxes.

4.  Tax Reform
-- There is only one bright spot in the tax area. JFAC did approve hiring
another 24 tax auditors to go after corporations and individuals who don't
pay their taxes. The return here is a 7-1 dollar return. The auditors may
recover an additional $50 million.
Robert Huntley reported that the Idaho Tax Commission is one of the
most corrupt Tax Commissions in the country.   Eight current and former tax auditors report that
"sweetheart" deals with out-of-state corporations, often
settling at 25 cents to the dollar, are a fact of life with the
Commission. This is costing the State an estimated $50 million/year.  No action was taken by the
Legislature.

Internet Sales  --  Bob Greene, owner of Book People,
said "Our state Legislature insists it's politically correct to
punish local retailers instead of taxing  Internet retailers. Why should they be exempt?",
Green asked.   A bill was
introduced but put in the desk drawer by the Speaker.

The issue of looking at tax exemptions was put in the Chairman of
the Revenue Tax Committee. Idaho's 85 tax exemptions total about $1.7
billion/year as contrasted to about $1 billion that goes into the General
Fund.  A transparent and
accountable system should be institutionalized that requires those
organizations who receive an exemption to prove that it is a benefit to
the State.

5. Primary Elections -- The bill for Primary Elections
passed the House and is on the way to the Governor's Desk.  Idaho will now have a Closed
Primary System as opposed to the Open Primary which we've had in place for
over 100 years.  Individuals
who declare their political preference in order to vote will have their
names made public. This to me violates the protection of privacy that
Idaho voters have enjoyed in the past. The taxpayer picks up $100,000 in
legal fees, $200,000 from the General Fund to set up the system, and the
counties will have to chip in about $165,000 to implement and run the
system. This is money that could have well been used for education or
other important areas of concern.

6.  Higher
Education -- the budget for the University of Idaho and other institutions
was cut about 5%.   The
UI has lost about 24% of State Funding over the past 4 years. Many quality
programs have been eliminated and top researchers and teachers have left
the state for better opportunities.
Corrections received a 4% increase.

7.  Good news
-- state tax returns for March are $50 million dollars over
projections.  If this holds
up, most of the money will go to education in July.

Lastly, at the end of session, the speaker told me I had
done a good job as Chair of the House Agriculture Committee but that he
was replacing me because I had not followed the party line on enough
procedural votes.  I voted the
way I felt my constituents would like me to vote.  Rep. Leon Smith
was similarly replaced as head of the Transportation Committee.  I will continue to represent my
constituents to the best of my ability

Well, that wraps up the
session.  I'd appreciate your
comments at ttrail at moscow.com